At Beryl’s, we love making—and eating—tasty treats. Here are a few of our favorite recipes, and some that were submitted by our clients. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. coarsely chopped peanut butter cups
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. granulated sugar
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 8 oz. package cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 stick butter (room temperature)
1 c. confectioners sugar
1/2 c. smooth, unsalted peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8” x 8” x 2” square cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and sugar. Put to the side.
3. Combine chocolate, butter and cream in a small pan. Heat until melted. Stir until smooth. Allow to cool.
4. Whisk eggs and vanilla together. Temper eggs by adding a small amount of the chocolate mixture and stir until well-blended.
5. Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture and stir until well-combined. Fold in peanut butter cups.
6. Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
7. Stand on rack to cool.
1. Beat together cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla.
2. Spread over cooled cake.
This recipe doubles nicely.
Quick and Easy Microwaveable Fudge
1 can sweetened, condensed milk|
16 oz. good quality chocolate (bittersweet or semi-sweet), chopped. Not chocolate chips.
2 oz butter
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Spray a 8” x 8” pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Put milk and chocolate into microwave-safe bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
4. Stir and add butter and vanilla. Microwave on HIGH for 1 additional minute.
6. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Score and put into refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
7. Cut into squares.
Will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks (if it lasts that long!).
Variations: – Stir in nuts or fruit to your liking upon 2nd stirring. – To make white-chocolate fudge, substitute 1 lb, 8 oz good quality white chocolate, grated rind of one large orange, and 1/2 cup dried cranberries.
Marzipan Black Cherry Brownies
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate|
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. marzipan
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 large eggs – room temperature
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 10 oz jar black cherry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray an 8” x 8” x 2” pan with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in small pan over low heat. Stir to blend. Put to the side to cool.
4. Sift flour and baking powder together. Put to the side.
5. Put marzipan in food processor and grind until fine. Put to the side.
6. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until think and light in colour. Beat in the chocolate mixture.
7. Lower the speed and add almond extract, marzipan, and flour until combined.
8. Fold in black cherry jam with a spatula, being careful not to over-mix.
9. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Do not over-bake.
Allow to cool in pan. Cut into squares. May be kept refrigerated for up to 7 days, if well wrapped, or frozen for up to 2 months.
Serve at room temperature. This recipe doubles or triples well.
Double Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
4 oz chocolate wafer cookies
5 oz semi sweet chocolate, melted
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3 tsp gelatin
1 lb cream cheese, softened
1 c. heaving whipping cream
3 tbsp. heaving whipping cream
5 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. strained orange marmalade
1. Line a 9” spring form pan with parchment paper
2. Process cookies until fine. Add melted chocolate and butter until combined. Press mixture into base of pan and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Make filling by sprinkling gelatin over orange juice in small saucepan. Heat gently until gelatin melts, stirring occasionally. Cool for 5 minutes.
4. Melt semi sweet chocolate and cool.
5. Beat cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Beat in cream until mixture is light and fluffy.
6. Reduce speed to low-medium and add melted chocolate and gelatin. Mix until combined.
7. Pour filling into pan. Swirl through orange marmalade. Smooth top.
8. Melt white chocolate with extra cream until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Swirl through cheesecake mixture.
9. Refrigerate over night.
Makes 12-16 slices.